Vitreoretinal and Laser Surgery, Pharmacologic Retinal Treatment
Sabah A. Shah, MD, MBA
I am pleased to announce that Sabah Shah MD, MBA has joined the Retina Group of New York specializing in uveitis and vitreoretinal surgery. Dr. Shah has extensive experience in the most sophisticated medical and surgical techniques. It is a privilege to have her join RGONY as the only ophthalmologist on Long Island to be fellowship trained in both retina and uveitis.
After graduating at the top of her class from Albany Medical College, Dr. Shah completed her internship at New York Presbyterian-Queens of Weill Cornell Medical Center. She then completed a prestigious three-year ophthalmology residency at New York University and Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, training under world-renowned retina specialists. Upon completing her residency training, Dr. Shah returned to upstate New York to complete a two-year combined fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery and uveitis. Dr. Shah was appointed as Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Albany Medical College and was awarded the Resident Teaching Award for her excellence in instructing surgical and medical techniques to residents.
Dr. Shah has published numerous papers on anti-VEGF medications including Avastin, Lucentis and Eylea, and procedures that are currently used by retina specialists such as retinal detachment repair and macular pucker surgery. She has participated in ongoing clinical trials involving pathology for macular degeneration and uveitis. Furthermore, Dr. Shah has presented her research, received research scholarships and awards, and has given lectures at the national level to hundreds of physicians across the country.
The Retina Group of New York has provided tertiary retinal and uveitis care to patients in Nassau and Suffolk Counties since 1986 at its offices in Hicksville and Hauppauge. Both locations are fully equipped with lasers, cutting-edge diagnostic imaging, and integrated electronic records. The group holds staff privileges at seven area hospitals and teaching appointments at the Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, and Nassau University Medical Center. The practice is limited to medical and surgical retinal and uveitis problems. These commonly include diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, retinal vein occlusion, retinal detachment, macula pucker, macula hole, cataract surgery complications, uveitis, retinal degenerations, Plaquenil toxicity and second opinions. Additional information is available online at www.rgony.com.
James M. Maisel, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Albany Medical Center
Vitreoretinal Surgery & Uveitis Fellowship, Albany Medical Center
Ophthalmology Residency, New York University
Transitional Year, New York Hospital of Queens
Doctor of Medicine, Albany Medical College
M.B.A. in Healthcare Administration, Union University
B.S. Biology and Latin American & Caribbean Studies, Union College
8-Year Leadership in Medicine Program, Union College
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Travel Grant Award 2013
• Albany Medical College Robert D. Reinecke Prize for Research in Ophthalmology 2010
• Albany Medical College Dean’s Honorary Citation-Awarded to the academic top 1/3 of medical school class 2010
• Magna Cuma Laude Union College 2006 • Dean's Lists Union College 2002-2006
• Departmental Honors in Biology and Latin American and Caribbean Studies Union College 2006
• Union College President's Scholarship for Leadership in Medicine 2002-2006
• Shah VP, Shah SA, Mrejen S, Freund KB. Subretinal hyperreflective exudation associated with neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Retina. 2014 Jul;34(7):1281-8.
• Shah SA, Freilich B, Freund KB. The ASRS X-Files: Posterior Scleritis Masqueraders. Retina Times. 2013 Fall;31(4):64-67.
• Freund KB, Shah SA, Shah VP. Correlation of transient vision loss with outer retinal disruption following Intravitreal ocriplasmin. Eye (Lond). 2013 Jun;27(6):773-4.
• Shah SA, Meyer DR, Wladis E, Sivak-Callcott JA, Mannor G, Burkat C, Kim N. Streptococcal Orbital Abscesses. Ophthalmology.2012Feb;119(2):425-425.
• Mathew JA, Shah SA, Simon JW. Varying Difficulty of Snellen Letters and Common Errors in Amblyopic and Fellow Eye. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011 Feb;129(2):184-7
• Shah SA, Meyer DR, Foulke L, Carlson JA. Limited Wegener Granulomatosis of the Orbit Complicated by Streptococcus Anginosis (milleri group) Infection. Grand Rounds. 2010 Dec; 10(3):95-102.
• Semenova E, Veronese C, Ciardella A, Marcheggiani EB, Shah S, De-Pablo-Gomez-de-Liaño L, Finger PT. Multimodality imaging of retinal astrocytoma. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2015 May 12:0. doi: 10.5301[Epub ahead of print]
• Shah SA, Ali MF, Ahmed T. Turnaround time for treatment of patients with colorectal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008 May (suppl; abstr 17548)
• Shah SA, Ali MF, Mundia M, Mundia AG. Hormonal Changes with Anastrozole Treatment in Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2009 June (suppl; abstr e12026)
Research Submitted for Publication:
• Shah SA, Mukkamala SK, Englebert M, Sorenson J. Complication associated with Sub-Tenon’s Triamcinolone Acetonide Injection
• Shah SA, Finger PT, Milman T. Lymphoproliferative Iris Tumors. Three Cases and a Survey of the Literature.
• Shah SA, Zhou, D, Slakter JS, Freund KB, Yannuzzi LA, Barbazetto I, Engelbert M. Aflibercept for the treatment of Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy
• Semenova E, Verones C, Ciardella A, Benedetta E, Shah SA, De Pablo L, Finger PT. Multimodal Imaging of Retinal Astrocytomas.
• Shah SA, Mukkamala SK, Gallego-Pinazo R, Yannuzzi LA. Retinal Pigment Migration in Vitelliform Macular Disease
• Shah SA, Deobhakta A, Yannuzzi LA. Acquired Vitelliform Lesions Secondary to Macular Traction
• Shah SA, Zhou, D, Slakter JS, Freund KB, Yannuzzi LA, Barbazetto I, Engelbert M. Aflibercept for the treatment of Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy ; The Retina Society. 2013 Sept 25-27 Beverly Hills, CA. [poster presentation]
• Semenova E, Shah SA, Finger PT. Retinal Astrocytoma: Diagnosis by Multimodal Imaging; The Retina Society. 2014 Sept 11-14 Philidelphia, PA. [poster presentation]
• Shah SA, Zhou, D, Slakter JS, Freund KB, Yannuzzi LA, Barbazetto I, Engelbert M. Aflibercept for the treatment of Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy ; Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO); 2014 May 3-6 Orlando, FL. [Oral presentation]
• Shah SA, Shah VP, Mrejen S, Freund KB. Subretinal Hyperreflective Exudation associated with Neovascular Age Related Macular Degeneration. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO); 2013 May 5-9 Seattle, WA. [poster presentation: Winner of ARVO Travel Grant] • Shah SA, Natanelli N, Donnenfeld E. Efficacy of Toric Intraocular Lenses to treat Post Penetrating Keratoplasty Astigmatism. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; 2013 April 19-23 San Francisco, CA. [Oral Case Presentation]
• Shah SA, Mukkamala SK, Freund KB, Yannuzzi L. Progression of an Acquired Vitelliform Lesion into a Full Thickness Macular Hole. Atlantic Coast Retina Conference. January 18, 2013. [Oral Case Presentation]
• Shah SA, Gallego-Pinazo R, Yannuzzi L. Gyrate Atrophy in the Diagnosis of Consanguinity. Wills Eye Retina Club Meeting; October 19, 2012 Philadelphia, PA. [Oral Case Presentation]
• Shah SA, Donnenfeld E, Perry H. Argon laser Iridoplasty to improve quality of vision following diffractive multifocal IOL implantation. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; 2010 April 9-14 Boston, MA. [poster presentation]
• Shah SA, Sleem A, Schultze R, O'Malley M, Kachikian S. Comparison of Donor Insertion Techniques on Endothelial Cell Mortality in Descemet’s Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK). Eye Bank Association of America; 2009 June 17-20 Seattle, WA. [poster presentation]
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
• American Society of Retina Specialists 2012-Present
• American Academy of Ophthalmology 2011-Present
• Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology 2007-2010
• Unite for Sight Ophthalmology 2008-2010
• Albany Medical College Chapter founder/President 2008-2010
Fencing, swimming, running • Fluent in Spanish, Hindi and Urdu